The Centre for GaN Materials and Devices develops cutting-edge technologies and performs advanced research on III-nitride materials and devices.
With the aim of bridging the gap between fundamental research and real-world applications the Centre offers the full project life cycle for industry collaboration – from design, advanced epitaxy growth, device fabrication and characterisation to testing. Part of the EPSRC funded Future Compound Semiconductor Manufacturing Hub, and the newly created CDT in Compound Semiconductor Manufacturing the centre is keen to share research insights, build successful partnerships and strengthen links with industry and academia.
The Centre for GaN Materials and Devices is part of the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at The University of Sheffield.
The centre’s research interests include:
- Epitaxial growth of III-nitride photonics and electronics on sapphire, silicon, SiC and diamond
- Epitaxial selective overgrowth of III-nitrides on patterned substrates
- III-nitride Micro-LEDs for micro-display and Li-Fi
- III-nitride power devices and RF devices
- III-nitride Photonics including nanolasers and photodetectors
- Epitaxial on-chip Integration systems (Photonics and Electronics)
- Solar-powered hydrogen generation, solar cells
- Hybrid III-nitrides/organic/2D materials Optoelectronics
- Flexible Photonic and Electronic devices
- Ultra-fast response III-nitride emitters for Li-Fi
- Ultra-fast optical switches based on III-nitride intersubbands
Inside the Centre for GaN Materials and Devices
Find out about our research interests, facilities and opportunities for collaboration in this film about our Centre.