Founded in 2015, The Centre for GaN Materials and Devices aims to develop cutting-edge technologies and perform advanced research on III-nitride materials and devices.
With expertise in advanced metal-organic vapour phase epitaxy (MOVPE) growth and nanofabrication technology the centre has complimentary first-class facilities including two MOVPE epitaxial growth systems, comprehensive optical characterisation systems, device testing systems and device fabrication systems.
The Centre for GaN Materials and Devices is part of the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at The University of Sheffield.
The centre’s research interests include:
- Epitaxial growth of III-nitride photonics and electronics on sapphire, silicon, SiC and diamond
- MOVPE overgrowth of III-nitrides on patterned substrates
- Non-/semi- polar III-nitrides for next generation Photonics and Electronics
- On-chip Integration systems (Photonics and Electronics)
- III-nitride emitters for Solid State lighting
- Novel III-nitride Micro-LEDs and Nano/micro lasers with ultra low threshold
- Solar-powered hydrogen generation, solar cells
- Hybrid III-nitrides/organic/2D materials Optoelectronics
- Flexible Photonic and Electronic devices
- Ultra-fast response III-nitride emitters for Li-Fi
- Ultra-fast optical switches based on III-nitride intersubbands
Find out more about our research activities.